Personal Assistant Required
In Brief: A job with a difference – combining the duties of executive PA with the close support required by a disabled person. Flexibility is key – as is the ability to write without a spell-checker, add and subtract without the need for a calculator and get from A to B even when you don’t have a satnav. Driving is a core component and consideration will only be given to those who are confident and experienced behind the wheel. Applications that fail to address the role and job description will not be considered.
NB: The deadline for applications is Wednesday July 22
It is anticipated that interviews will be held in the week beginning July 27
Job title: Personal Assistant
Employer: Adams-Spink Ltd
Place of work: Harrow, North West London and occasionally Adams-Spink Ltd shared office space in Covent Garden, WC2H
Hours: Monday to Friday 9.00am – 6.00pm (flexible). Often the PA will be expected to undertake extra hours, at short notice. When this occurs, the PA can choose either to receive extra pay or to take time off in lieu.
Supervision: As PA to Adams-Spink Ltd’s Director, Geoff Adams-Spink, you will be accountable to him in all aspects of your work.
Holiday: The PA will be entitled to 24 days’ paid annual leave per year.
Purpose of Job
The PA will give Mr Adams-Spink the assistance he requires to enable him to do his job. Mr Adams-Spink works as a journalist, writer, broadcaster, public speaker, trainer, consultant and non-executive director to other organisations and companies. This involves frequent travel both in the UK and abroad.
Mr Adams-Spink is also the Chairman of a European federation of organisations for people with limb difference called EDRIC (European Dysmelia Reference Information Centre). His work with this organisation involves writing bids for fundraising, website editing, monitoring of social media activity, video editing and chairing board meetings.
Having physical and vision impairments, as well as secondary disabilities caused by thalidomide, means Mr Adams-Spink needs assistance with a variety of tasks.
In summary, your role is to provide assistance and facilitation to enable Mr Adams-Spink to undertake his job without barriers.
Patience and a well developed sense of humour would be a distinct advantage.
The PA will be expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Using a computer with Mac OS X – using any specialist applications necessary to complete tasks undertaken by Adams-Spink Ltd, including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and multi-media applications
- Reading, note-taking and typing
- Carrying bags and equipment
- Guidance and orientation when accompanying Mr Adams-Spink on location as well as on trips in the UK and overseas
- Driving a variety of vehicles
- To be aware of Mr Adams-Spink’s health and safety at all times
- To assist with any other tasks that Mr Adams-Spink may be required to undertake as part of his work for Adams-Spink Ltd
- Assistance with personal care – making food and drink, adjusting clothing and so on
1. An understanding of the range of access requirements of a disabled person and the principles of access support
2. Excellent communication, organisational and administrative skills, including diary and travel management
3. Ability to drive a range of vehicles: full clean driving licence and substantial experience – able to follow directions and guidance
4. Ability to work well as part of a team as well as on own initiative
5. The ability to remain calm under pressure
6. An enthusiastic and committed personality
7. Ability to work hard and concentrate, paying attention to detail
8. Fluency in English – with excellent spelling and grammar (without using auto-correction)
9. Reliability and punctuality
10. Flexibility and willingness to work unpredictable and long hours, often away from home (including weekends) and as and when required at home and overseas
11. Trustworthiness – aware of the importance of confidentiality and honesty
12. Respectable personal appearance
1. Previous experience of working with disabled people
2. Knowledge/experience/interest in all aspects of the work undertaken by Adams-Spink Ltd
3. Computer literate – especially the Mac OS
4. Health and Safety aware
Please email your CV and covering letter.